Tabor's Graduation requirement in the fine and performing arts may be fulfilled through a combination of courses during the academic day, certain afternoon/co-curricular programs, and certain extracurricular activities. One Arts unit corresponds to one trimester of arts-related activity or class. Arts credits do not transfer from other institutions; however, the number of trimesters of required arts is prorated for students who enter Tabor after the ninth grade.
The total number of Art Units required for graduation is as follows:
- For students who enter in ninth grade: 6 trimesters/units
- For students who enter in tenth grade: 4 trimesters/units
- For students who enter in eleventh grade: 2 trimesters/units
Students (with the help of advisors) can devise a program that best suits their needs according to their interests, selecting from the wide range of offerings as described below.
All courses offered in the Visual Arts, Music and Theater Arts departments earn one arts unit per trimester.
Other courses which accrue arts units (1 per trimester):
- Creative writing (English Department)
- Sail Design and Theory (Nautical Science)
- Ship and Boat Design (Nautical Science, offered prior to 2021-22)
- Ship Lines Drawing (Nautical Science, offered prior to 2020-21)
Trimester co-curricular opportunities to earn arts units include satisfactory participation in the following: (*)
Full year, extra-curricular opportunities to earn the equivalent of a trimester's art's unit include: (*)
- The Log editorial staff (student newspaper)
- Bowspirit editorial staff (student literary magazine)
- Fore 'n' Aft editorial staff (yearbook)
- Private music lessons participation
* Arts units awarded are determined by the instructors based on the students' level of participation.